Do you have a Panini press? I highly recommend you get one – it takes your sandwiches to the next level. The delicious combination of warm brie, pear, honey and arugula on ciabatta makes this one of my favorite sandwiches.
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 (1-pound) loaf ciabatta bread (or 8 slices country bread) Also good on sourdough bread.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces Taleggio cheese or brie, sliced
- 2 large pears, apples or peaches, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces arugula or spinach or you could use my favorite, Arugula Pesto Mayo (see recipe below)
Preheat the Panini machine. Cut the ciabatta loaf into 4 equal pieces. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil. Slice the pear or fruit of your choice.
Begin forming the sandwiches. Divide the cheese among the bread. Cover the cheese with slices of fruit. Drizzle the fruit with honey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with arugula. Place the top half of the bread over the arugula and put the competed sandwich on the Panini machine golden brown and the cheese is melting. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
Arugula Pesto Mayo
3 cups arugula, packed
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/4 cup olive oil
3 1/2 tablespoons mayo
sea salt and black pepper
Mix all ingredients in the food processor. You will have some left over for more sandwiches – yum!