It’s really too hot to cook in the house – Memphis is having an unusually hot summer. TRY THIS!
You can use any vegetables you like or have on hand. Eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, onions, asparagus, scallions, and bell peppers work best.
Toss sliced zucchini, eggplant, onion, and asparagus spears in olive oil, salt, pepper and a little Cavender’s seasoning. Grill until lightly charred, then remove to a cutting board and give them a rough chop. Add these vegetables to your favorite cooked pasta, plus a little more olive oil, lemon juice and grated parmesan cheese. If you wants to add a little different flavor to your pasta dish, think about these additions:
- For fresh herb flavor, stir in chopped basil, mint, parsley, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, or fennel leaves.
- For heat or zip, add freshly crushed black pepper, dried red chile flakes, crushed fennel seed, or green peppercorns.
- For crunch and texture, try walnuts, chopped roasted almonds, pine nuts, grilled chunks of peasant bread, or crisped, chopped pancetta or bacon.
- For a salty-briny kick, toss in some chopped black or green olives or capers.
- If you wanted to jazz it up a notch, add some grilled shrimp or chicken.